Holocaust Memorials: Berlin, Germany
- Published: 10 June 2010 10 June 2010
- Last Updated: 23 August 2013 23 August 2013
The main Holocaust memorial in Berlin (Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe / Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas) is located one block from the Brandenburg Gate and is designed by Peter Eisenman and Buro Happold and was opened 10 May 2005.
The memorial Block der Frauen was opened in 1995 and was designed by Ingeborg Hunzinger. It commemorates the protest in Rosenstrasse held in February and March 1943 by non-Jewish wives and relatives of Jewish men who had been arrested for deportation.
The Grosse Hamburger Strasse Memorial is located in the old Jewish quarter and commemorates the Berlin Jews who died in the Holocaust.
This sign is posted just outside the upscale department store KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens), the Berlin equivalent of London's Harrods, has the text "Places of terror, that we must never forget".