6. Garrison Brigade (Croatia)
- Published: 16 February 2013 16 February 2013
- Last Updated: 16 February 2013 16 February 2013
(6. Posadni Zdrug)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed on or about 1 April 1944 with HQ in Doboj by consolidating and renaming a variety of existing quasi-independent garrison battalions and other units, especially volunteer (Domdo) militia. Brigade strength averaged around 2,800. Tactically subordinated to German V. SS-Gebirgskorps. (1)
Apr – Nov 44: Brigade was located in a Partisan “infested” area, but other than noted below its encounters were mainly small unit clashes and skirmishes in the hills and mountains on both sides of the Bosna valley with relatively few casualties.
27-28 Jun 44: I Bn. took part in the successful defense of Derventa which was attacked by the 10th and 11th Assault Divisions NOVJ.
8 Sep 44: strong Partisan forces attacked Doboj but were thrown back by Brigade HQ and IV Bn.
1 Dec 44: renamed 16th Domobran Brigade and assigned to 15th Croatian Inf. Div.
II Territorial Corps (Apr 1944 - 30 Nov 1944)
Order of battle (15 Aug 1944)
Brigade HQ and Administrative Section in Doboj
I Bn. (1st – 4th Co.) in Derventa
II Bn. (1st – 4th Co.) in Gračanica and later Doboj
III Bn. (1st – 6th Co.) in Teslić and later in Maglaj
IV Bn. (1st – 4th Co.) in Doboj and later in Zavidovići
Later, in Oct 44, a V Bn. may have been formed in the Doboj area
1. Arhiv Vojnoistorijski institut, kut. 60, reg.br. 32/2; kut. 114b, reg.br. 1/2; [Vojnoistorijski institute]. Zbornik dokumenata I podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda. Tom IV/24, p.639; IV/26, pp.347, 567 and 572; IV/30, p.103; IV/31, pp.824-26; [Vojnoistorijski institute]. Hronologija oslobodilačke borbe naroda jugoslavije 1941-1945, pp.786 and 885; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-311 roll 184/1141); Strugar, Vlado. Jugoslavija 1941-1945.
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -