5. Garrison Brigade (Croatia)
- Published: 16 February 2013 16 February 2013
- Last Updated: 16 February 2013 16 February 2013
(5. Posadni Zdrug)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed on or about 1 April 1944 with HQ in Nova Gradiška by consolidating and renaming a variety of existing quasi-independent garrison battalions and other units. No figures have been found for Brigade strength, but it probably was around 3,000 – 3,200. It was tactically under German 1. Kos.Kav.Div. and LXIX. Armeekorps. (1)
Apr – Nov 44: occupying garrisons mainly along the Sava valley in Slavonia, the Brigade saw very little action.
17 Aug 44: I Bn. fought a brief engagement with elements of 28th Assault Division NOVJ at Lipovljani, a small village near Banova Jaruga in the Novska area.
1 Dec 44: renamed 15th Domobran Brigade and assigned to 6th Croatian Inf. Div.
Pukovnik Josip Bučar (? - ?) 1944
II Territorial Corps (Apr 1944 - 30 Nov 1944)
Order of battle (15 Aug 1944)
Brigade HQ and Administrative Section in Nova Gradiška
I Bn. (1st – 3d Co.) in Lipovljani
II Bn. (1st – 3d Co.) in Novska, Bojnik Hovanicki
III Bn. with HQ and 1st – 2d Co. in Osijek and 3d – 4th Co. in Sl. Požega
IV Bn. (1st – 3d Co.) in Sl. Brod
V Bn. (1st – 3d Co.) in Našice
VI Bn. (1st – 3d Co.) in Banja Luka
Engineer Co./5th Garrison Brig. in Bos. Gradiška
1st Artillery Battery/5th Garrison Brig. in Bos. Novi
1st Independent Arty. Platoon/5th Garrison Brig. in Podr. Slatina
2d Independent Arty. Platoon/5th Garrison Brig. in Cazin
1. Arhiv Vojnoistorijski institut, kut. 60, reg.br. 32/2; kut. 114b, reg.br. 1/2; [Vojnoistorijski institute]. Zbornik dokumenata I podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda. Tom IV/29, p.360; IV/31, pp.824 and 826; [Vojnoistorijski institute]. Hronologija oslobodilačke borbe naroda jugoslavije 1941-1945, pp.853; NARA WashDC: RG 331 (roll 447-B); Strugar, Vlado. Jugoslavija 1941-1945.
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -