18. Domobran Brigade (Croatia)
- Published: 14 February 2013 14 February 2013
- Last Updated: 14 February 2013 14 February 2013
(18. pješački zdrug)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed on or about 1 December 1944 with HQ in Sarajevo by renaming 8th Garrison Brigade. Assigned to the 8th Croatian Infantry Division on formation with eight battalions (I – VIII) and an artillery battery. A good third of the Brigade consisted of poorly trained and armed militia and it was used mainly to garrison towns and villages in a fairly wide area around Sarajevo and to guard installations and the lines of communication. A IX Battalion was formed in Zenica during December, but a few weeks later its VIII Bn. was taken away and re-designated VI Bn./2d Mountain Brigade. Its strength was maintained at approximately 7,500 to 8,000 until the fall of Sarajevo at the beginning of April 1945.
See 8th Croatian Infantry Division for additional information. (1)
1. NARA WashDC: RG 226 (OSS intelligence report 110433); RG 331 (roll 447-B).
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -