12. Domobran Brigade (Croatia)
- Published: 14 February 2013 14 February 2013
- Last Updated: 14 February 2013 14 February 2013
(12. pješački zdrug)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed on or about 1 December 1944 with HQ in Karlovac by renaming the 2d Garrison Brigade. (1)
(See 13th Croatian Infantry Division for additional details).
1 Dec 44: assigned to 13th Croatian Infantry Division on formation. The Brigade was considered to be well-armed with high morale and fighting quality. This was quite a distinction for a Domobran unit.
1 Dec 44: the village of Mahično on the Karlovac – Ozalj railway line and the “Titanit” munitions plant, both of which were defended by III Bn., were taken by elements of 34th Division NOVJ with 6 Domobrans being reported killed and 58 taken prisoner. The next day Gornje Pokupje was taken and the III Bn. lost 50 more men captured.
20 Dec 44: I Bn. was attacked in the village of Draganići by elements of 34th Division NOVJ and forced to withdraw.
5 Mar 45: the Brigade lost a reported 91 KIA, 10 WIA and 291 captured in the defense of Rečica near Karlovac, which was taken by two brigades from the 34th Assault Division JA after a two-hour attack.
22 Apr 45: Brigade strength had been reduced to about 1,200 men due to losses and desertions. Its assignment during most of March and April was to protect the line of communication from Karlovac to about 32 km south of Karlovac.
Pukovnik Djuro Sivoš (c. 1 Dec 1944 - May 1945)
Order of battle (1 Mar 1945)
Brigade HQ, headquarters elements and HQ Co. in Karlovac
I Bn. in Karlovac (previously in Draganići)
II Bn. (ex-Garrison Bn. Ozalj?) in Karlovac
III Bn. in Rečica (previously in Gornje Pokupje)
1. Arhiv VII Belgrade, kut. 134a, reg.br. 3/1; [Vojnoistorijski institute]. Zbornik dokumenata I podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda, Tom V/37, pp.758-63; XI/4; [Vojnoistorijski institute]. Hronologija oslobodilačke borbe naroda jugoslavije 1941-1945, pp.1035, 1037 and 1085; NARA WashDC: RG 226 (OSS intelligence reports 110433); RG 331 (roll 447-B).
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -