3. Gendarmerie Regiment (Croatia)
- Published: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
- Last Updated: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
(3. oružnička pukovnija)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed 1 May 1941 in Banja Luka from elements of the former “Vrbaski” Gendarmerie Rgt. of the Royal Yugoslav Gendarmerie. (1)
1941-45: urban and rural police duties, such as manning Gendarmerie stations and carrying out patrols.
13 Jul 41: total Regiment strength approximately 1,600.
Jun – Jul 42: reinforced the station at Bosanski Novi and from there fielded several hundred Gendarmes in support of Operation “West-Bosnien”.
7 Jul 42: HQ in Banja Luka - Rgt. had a Recruit Co. on this date.
4 Feb 43: Banja Luka - Rgt. had a total of 730 men and was responsible for maintaining 16 Gendarmerie stations.
Dec 43: Rgt. HQ still in Banja Luka.
Mar 44: Rgt. HQ now said to be in Tuzla (very doubtful).
Gend. Pukovnik Viktor Novak (? - ?) Nov 1941, Feb 1942, July 1942, Nov 1942
Gend. Pukovnik Emanuel Mažek (? - ?) Dec 1944
Order of Battle (1 Sep 1944)
Rgt. HQ in Banja Luka with county or local (kotar) sub-commands in Banja Luka (3 detachments), Nova Gradiška (3 detachments), Osijek (7 detachments)
1. Arhiv VII, kut. 114b, reg.br. 1/2; kut. 134a, reg.br. f.3/1-96; Colić, Mladen - Oružane snage NDH u Bosni i Hercegovini 1942-1943, in: AVNOJ i narodnooslobodilačka borba u Bosni i Hercegovini 1942-1943 (Belgrade, 1974), pp.344-60; NARA WashDC: RG 165 (Ser. 79, Box 738, CSDIC CMF AAI (East)/AB 245 dated 27 May 44); RG 242 (T-315 roll 1294/152); Narodne novine government gazette.
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -