3. Blackshirt Division 21 Aprile (Italy)
- Published: 04 August 2010 04 August 2010
- Last Updated: 12 April 2012 12 April 2012
The 3. Blackshirt Division 21 Aprile (3. Divisione CCNN 21 Aprile) was formed in 1935 for service in the Italo-Ethiopian War and was disbanded after the end of that war in 1936.
A new 3. Blackshirt Division 21 Aprile was formed in 1939 and was sent to Libya in the summer of 1940. It took part in the invasion of Egypt and was destroyed during the retreat to Libya in December 1940.
It was named 21 Aprile (21 April) in the honor of the traditional date for the founding of Rome.
Order of battle
181. CCNN Legion
- 71. Manfreda CCNN Battalion
- 81. A. di Barbiano CCNN Battalion
- 102. Cacciatori del Tevere CCNN Battalion
203. CCNN Legion
- 103. Clitunno CCNN Battalion
- 110. Picena CCNN Battalion
- 143. Clino Ricci CCNN Battalion
203. Artillery Regiment
Piero Crociani & Piero Paolo Battistelli - Italian Blackshirt 1935-45
George F. Nafziger - Italian Order of Battle: An organizational history of the Italian Army in World War II (3 vol)
Rex Tyre - Mussolini's Afrika Korps: The Italian Army in North Africa 1940-1943
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -