21. Infantry Division Granatieri di Sardegna (Italy)
- Published: 21 August 2010 21 August 2010
- Last Updated: 07 April 2012 07 April 2012
It was mobilized in June 1940 and took part in the invasion of France. It took part in the invasion of Yugoslavia and was later stationed in Ljiubliana.
It was transferred to Rome in November 1942 and in September 1943 it resisted the German forces but was defeated and destroyed. Captain Vincenzo Pandolfo and seven others of 1. Granatieri di Sardegna Infantry Regiment were killed in the fighting against German paratroopers at the Magliana's Bridge and were the first Italian vicitims in the battle for Rome.
This unit took part in anti-partisan operations in Croatia.
Order of battle1. Granatieri di Sardegna Infantry Regiment
2. Granatieri di Sardegna Infantry Regiment
3. Granatieri di Sardegna Infantry Regiment
13. Granatieri di Sardegna Artillery Regiment
21. Mortar Battalion
121. Anti-Tank Company
21. Engineer Battalion
1. Medical Section
161. Motor Transport Section
62. Carabinieri Section
Sources usedGeorge F. Nafziger - Italian Order of Battle: An organizational history of the Italian Army in World War II (3 vol)
Charles T. O'Reilly - Forgotten battles: Italy's war of liberation, 1943-1945