Blocking of awardings by the Wehrmacht
- Published: 15 April 2012 15 April 2012
- Last Updated: 15 April 2012 15 April 2012
by Hans Runge
The Wehrmacht issued several decrees temporarily blocking the issuing of awards during the war, either for specific awards or more general blocks, the known ones are listed below.
- The OBdW postponed, and thereby temporarily blocked, the awarding of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross for "remarkable services in troop leadership" between 3 August 1940 and 16 March 1941.
- The OBdW blocked the awarding of the German Cross in Silver from 3 May 1944 until 8 June 1944.
- The OKW stopped the treatment of proposals for awarding soldiers missing in action or soldiers captured by the enemy from 2 August 1944 on.
- The OKW barred by decree the awarding of the German Cross in Gold for "multiple remarkable services in troop leadership" from 10 March 1945 on.
- The Reichspresident in office (2-23 May 1945) and supreme commander of the Wehrmacht (1-9 May 1945) Grossadmiral Karl Dönitz decreed a general stop of awarding and advancement from 11 May 1945, 24:00 h, on.
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.