Second decree on law concerning change of first and last names
- Published: 01 May 2010 01 May 2010
- Last Updated: 07 April 2012 07 April 2012
Gist of the law: Forcing Jews to adopt the names "Israel" and "Sara".
Document Number: 2873-PS
Date: 17 Aug 1938
Signed by: Frick
PARTIAL TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENT 2873-PS
1938 REICHSGESETZBLATT, PART I, PAGE 1044
Second Decree Allotting to the implementation of the law on the change of first and family names.
(Does not concern the country of Austria) 17 August 1938
(1) Jews must only be given first names which are enumerated in the directives issued by the Reich Minister of the Interior, concerning the bearing of first names.
(2) Section 1 does not apply to Jews of foreign nationality. Section II
(1) If Jews bear other first names as such authorized for Jews by virtue of Section 1, they must—starting on January 1, 1939---adopt another additional first name, namely "Israel" for men and "Sara" for women.
* * * * * * *
Berlin, August 17, 1938 The Reich Minister of the Interior
The Reichminister of Justice
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.