- Published: 30 January 2011 30 January 2011
- Last Updated: 07 March 2013 07 March 2013
The known memorials built to the memory of fallen Freikorps soldiers are listed below along with their fate when known.
See also the memorials to victims of the Freikorps
Ehrenmal Annaberg was inaugurated 22 May 1938 in memory of those Freikorps soldiers who died during the fighting at Annaberg and 50 soldiers who had died in the battle were buried there. It was destroyed after the war when the area became Polish.
Inaugurated 6 Sep 1925, it carried the inscription: "Den gefallenen Selbstschutzkämpfern". It was destroyed after the war when the area became Polish.
"Den Freikorps Lichtschlag/Loewenfeld, Februar 1919 - März 1920. Unsern Befreiern aus Spartakistengewalt. Mit Adolf Hitler im zweiten Jahr des dritten Reiches 1934. Euch was vehüllt. Nun ists am Tag. Ihr schlugt den ersten Hammerschlag."
It was thrown into the river by British soldiers after the war. It was salvaged in 1949 and used as a memorial for prisoners of war.
Inaugurated 5 May 1921 in memory of the fallen of Freiwilligen Landesjägerkorps, it carried the inscription:
"Niemand hat größere Liebe, denn wer sein Leben lässet für seine Freunde" together with "Bruderkampf" and "Versöhnung".
It was destroyed 1946 on the order of the Soviet occupying forces.
Inaugurated 3 Nov 1934 in memory of the 550 Freikorps soldiers who died during the fighting in the Ruhr.
Inaugurated 31 Mar 1935 in memory of the fallen of Zeitfreiwilligen-Regiment Leipzig. It was destroyed in 1946.
Inaugurated 3 May 1942 in memory of Freikorps that fought against the Münchener Räterepublik. It was destroyed in 1945 by US forces.
This memorial carried the inscription "Den Gefallenen des Baltenregiments".
Inaugurated 24 June 1923 in memory of Erwin Kern and Hermann Fischer of Marinebrigade Ehrhardt, who murdered Foreign minister Walther Rathenau 24 June 1922 and who died at Saaleck castle (Burg Saaleck), Kern was killed by the police forces and Fischer took his own life. It carried the inscription
"Tu, was du mußt,
Sieg oder stirb,
Und laß Gott die Entscheidung!"
An additional inscription was added July 1934, written by the poet Hans Wilhelm Stein-Saaleck and dedicated to the memory of all the fallen Freikorps soldiers.
"Deutscher, der du die heiligen Fluren der Heimat durschschreitest, wende, hier rastend, gen Ostland den Sinn und gedenke der Männer, die für des Vaterlands Ehre und Freiheit kämpften und starben, trotzend feigem Verrat, verantwortlich Gott und sich selbst nur! Unseren Kämpfern gegen den Bolschewismus zum Schutze der detschen Ostgrenzen in den Jahren 1918 bis 1920 gefallenen Kameraden zum immerwährenden Gedächtnis!
Reichsverband der Baltikumkämpfer, Grenzschutz- und Freikorpskämpfer."
The inscriptions were removed after the war and the stone was removed in 2000.
Inaugurated 30 Sep 1923 in memory of the fallen of Freikorps Oberland, it carried the inscription:
"Oberland seinen 52 in Oberschlesien im J. 1921 gefallenen Kameraden." and "Sie werden wieder auferstehen".
It was destroyed in May 1935.
A commemorative plaque was inaugurated 21 May 1956 in the Weinberg-Kapelle, it carried the inscription:
"Freikorps Oberland seiner 52 im Freiheitskampf um Oberschlesien gefallenen Kameraden Sie werden auferstehen."
Nigel Jones - The birth of the Nazis: How the Freikorps blazed a trail for Hitler
Robert Thomas & Stefan Pochanke - Handbuch zur geschichte der Deutschen Freikorps
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.