The Kaukasischer-Waffen-Verband der SS, also known as Freiwilligen Brigade Nordkaukasien, began forming late 1944 with men, volunteers from the Caucasus region, from Frewilligen-Stamm-Division as a nucleus.
It was transferred from the Neuhammer training camp to Paluzza in northern Italy January 1945 and was still forming when it surrendered to the British forces at the end of the war.

Manpower strength

Nov 1944 1.525

Order of battle

SS-Waffengruppe Georgien
SS-Waffengruppe Aserbeidschan
SS-Waffengruppe Armenien
SS-Waffengruppe Nordkaukasus

Order of battle (by Michael W. Lenz)

wss-kauk-oob

Insignia

A collar insignia with a sword and shield was authorized but probably never issued.

Sources used

Research by by Michael W. Lenz
John R. Angolia - Cloth insignia of the SS
David Littlejohn - Foreign Legions of the Third Reich, vol 4
Antonio J. Munoz - The East came West: Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist Volunteers in the German Armed Forces 1941-1945
Frank Thayer - SS Foreign volunteer collar insignia and their reporductions (in The Military Advisor, Vol 4 No 2)

Reference material on this unit

Antonio J. Munoz - The East came West: Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist Volunteers in the German Armed Forces 1941-1945

Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.