by H.L. deZeng IV
Although unofficial garrison formations were already in existence during 1942, they were not formalized and made official until 25 August 1942. They were directly subordinate to the garrison commands and were responsible for guarding bridges, power plants, telecommunications facilities, government buildings, ration and munition dumps, as well as other installations vital to the war effort. They also served as a supplemental security force to reinforce the local police and gendarmerie for the maintenance of order in the cities and towns and to patrol the surrounding area when needed. A separate personnel pool was established for garrison service volunteers and inductees. (1)
Garrison Battalion - Organization and Equipment (June 1944)
Battalion HQ: (including in the composition of the 1st Rifle Co.)
1st Rifle Co. 8/17/206
2d Rifle Co.: 4/14/181
3d Rifle Co.: 4/14/181
4th Rifle Co.: 4/14/181
5th Rifle Co.: 4/14/181
Heavy Weapons Co.: 3/13/104
Totals: 27 officers, 86 NCOs and 1,034 men (1,147 in all), 8 heavy machine guns, 45 light machine guns, 6 medium mortars and 15 light mortars.
1. NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-78 roll 450/6426575); (T-314 roll 1545/852-917); (T-821 roll 278/510-11).