by Gareth Collins

Formed in June 1940 in Royan in the Poitou-Charentes Region of France from a section of Marineartillerieabteilung 206. It was subordinate to the Marinebefehlshaber Westfrankreich, then to the Seekommandant Gascogne. In April 1943 the Abteilung was split and the units that remained with the Marineartillerieabteilung 284 were based on the north bank of the Gironde. From October 1944 the Abteilung became part of a fortress pocket in France under Festung Gironde-Nord and remained there until April 1945.

Kommandeur

Korvettenkapitän M.A. der Reserve Willi Panzel (00 Jul 1940-00 Feb 1943)
Fregattenkapitän M.A. der Reserve Hermann Haueisen (00 Mar 1943-00 Apr 1945)

Sources used

Research by Gareth Collins
Erich Gröner - Die Schiffe der deutschen Kriegsmarine und ihr Verbleib 1939-1945, J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, München (1976)
Hans H. Hildebrand - Die organisatorische Entwicklung der Marine nebst Stellenbesetzung 1848 bis 1945, Biblio-Verlag, Osnabrück (2000)
Hans H. Hildebrand & Ernest Henriot – Deutschlands Admirale 1849-1945, Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück (1989)
Hans H. Hildebrand, Albert Röhr & Hans-Otto Steinmetz – Die Deutschen Kriegsschiffe, Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, Hamburg (1980)
Walter Lohmann & Hans H. Hildebrand – Die Deutsche Kriegsmarine, Verlag Hans-Henning Podzun, Bad Nauheim (1956)

Reference material on this unit

- None known at this time -

Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.