The 3. Leichte-Division was formed in Cottbus on 10 November 1938. It took part in the invasion of Poland with XV Korps. The Panzer-Abteilung 67 was the first front-line unit to be equipped with the Czech-made Panzer 38(t) tanks and when it crossed the Polish border it had a total of 59 such tanks.
It was reorganized and redesignated 8. Panzer-Division on 16 October 1939.
Generalleutnant Adolf Kuntzen (10 Nov 1938-16 Oct 1939)
Operations Officers (Ia)
Oberstleutnant Harald Freiherr von Elverfeldt (10 Nov 1938 - 16 Oct 1939)
Area of operations
Poland (Sep 1939 - Oct 1939)
Order of battle
François de Lannoy & Josef Charita - Panzertruppen: German armored troops 1935-1945
Thomas L. Jentz - Panzertruppen
D von Porat - PzKpfw 38(t) in strid (in Pansar, No 4, 1983)
Georg Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht 1933-1945
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -