2. Infantry Division (Slovakia)
- Published: 26 June 2010 26 June 2010
- Last Updated: 07 April 2012 07 April 2012
The 2. Infantry Division was formed from the Security Division in August 1943 and transferred to Italy after all its armour was sent to Slovakia. It was stationed in various parts of Italy until the end of the war (though never fighting the allies or partisants) when the whole division (now designated 2. Technical Division) fought along side the partisans in Lombardy.
The commander of the division, Colonel Imro, deserted to the American forces 30 July 1944 together with his Chief of Staff Captain Hujs.
CommandersColonel Pilfousek (1 Aug 1943 - 1 July 1944)
Colonel Imro (1 July 1944 - 30 July 1944)
Colonel Veselý (30 July 1944 - 8 May 1945)
Sources usedMark W. A. Axworthy - Axis Slovakia: Hitler's Slavic Wedge, 1938-1945
Charles K. Kliment & Bretislav Nakládal - Germany's First Ally: Armed forces of the Slovak state 1939-1945
George F. Nafziger - The German Order of Battle: Waffen SS and other units in World War II
Reference material on this unit- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.