1. Blackshirt Division 23 Marzo (Italy)
- Published: 04 August 2010 04 August 2010
- Last Updated: 12 April 2012 12 April 2012
The 1. Blackshirt Division 23 Marzo (1. Divisione CCNN 23 Marzo) was formed in 1935 for service in the Italo-Ethiopian War and was disbanded after the end of that war in 1936.
A new 1. Blackshirt Division 23 Marzo was raised in 1939 and was sent to Libya in the summer of 1940. It took part in the invasion of Egypt and was destroyed at Bardia, Libya, in January 1941.
It was named 23 Marzo (23 March) in honor of the founding of the Italian Fascist Party 23 March 1919.
Order of battle
219. CCNN Legion
- 114. G. Veroli CCNN Battalion
- 118. Volsca CCNN Battalion
- 119. N. Ricciotti CCNN Battalion
233. CCNN Legion
- 129. Adriatica CCNN Battalion
- 133. Lupi di Matese CCNN Battalion
- 148. Tavogliere CCNN Battalion
XLI Light Tank Battalion
1. CCNN Anti-tank Company
201. MG Battalion
201. Artillery Regiment
201. Mixed Engineer Battalion
Piero Crociani & Piero Paolo Battistelli - Italian Blackshirt 1935-45
George F. Nafziger - Italian Order of Battle: An organizational history of the Italian Army in World War II (3 vol)
Rex Tyre - Mussolini's Afrika Korps: The Italian Army in North Africa 1940-1943
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.