The 1. Ungarische-SS-Schi-Bataillon was founded when the Germans overthrew the Horthy regime and was made up of volunteers from the mountain troops of the Hungarian army who swore an oath of loyalty to Adolf Hitler.
It was transferred from Budapest to Neuhammer for further training in November 1944. In February 1945 they had to abandon Neuhammer, though a company commanded by SS-Obersturmführer Jozsef vitez Gencsy was let behind. Only eight soldiers and Gencshy survived the battle of Neuhammer.
It was then sent to Leoben, Austria, were they received further training before being sent to Semmering in April 1945 were it joined parts of 13. Waffen-Gebirgs Division der SS Handschar (Kroatische nr 1).
In the end of April 1945 it was sent to St. Margarethen were it was attached to 5. SS-Panzer-Division Wiking, except for a company of 140 men that was sent to Grossen Pfaff (southeast of Semmering) to strengthen a Hungarian unit, probably 1. Ungarisches SS-Sturmjäger Regiment.
It surrendered to the Americans near Attersee. During the final two weeks it lost more than 200 men and a large number were caputered by the Red army.

Commander

SS-Obersturmführer Josef Vitez Zelko

Sources used

Antonio J. Munoz - Teutonic Magyars: Hungarian volunteers in the Waffen-SS (in The Hungarian Army and its military leadership in World War II by Andris J. Kursietis)

Reference material on this unit

- None known at this time -

Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.