Schwere SS-Panzer Abteilung 103 / 503
- Published: 26 December 2010 26 December 2010
- Last Updated: 27 April 2013 27 April 2013
The Schwere SS-Panzer Abteilung 103 was formed in November 1943 and fought as infantry in Yogoslavia until January 1944 when it was sent to Holland.
It was refitted with with Tiger II (Köningstiger) tanks in September 1944 and redesignated Schwere SS-Panzer Abteilung 503.
It was attached to Heeresgruppe Weichsel and sent to the Eastern front Jan 1945.
SS-Sturmbannführer Otto Paetsch (1 July 1943 - 4 Feb 1944)
SS-Obersturmbannführer Karl Leiner (4 Feb 1944 - 18 Jan 1945)
SS-Sturmbannführer Friedrich Herzig (18 Jan 1945 - 8 May 1945)
Area of operations
Yugoslavia (Nov 1943 - Jan 1944)
Holland (Jan 1944 - Sep 1944)
Germany (Sep 1944 - Jan 1945)
Eastern front (Jan 1945 - May 1945)
|Campaign||New issue||Transfers in||Transfers out||Combat loss||Type of tank|
|Eastern Front||10||6||16||0||Tiger I|
|Eastern Front||33||6||0||39||Tiger II|
Holders of high awards
Holders of the Knight's Cross (4)
- Bromman, Karl 29.04.1945 SS-Untersturmführer Führer 1./s.SS-Pz.Abt 503
- Herzig, Friedrich (Fritz) 29.04.1945 SS-Sturmbannführer Kdr s.SS-Pz.Abt 503
- Körner, Karl 29.04.1945 SS-Hauptscharführer Zugführer i. d. 2./s.SS-Pz.Abt 503
- Schäfer, Oskar 29.04.1945 SS-Untersturmführer Führer 3./s.SS-Pz.Abt 503
Karl Bromann (usually credited with 66 destroyed tanks but the exact number is unknown)
Karl Köner (usually credited with 100+ destroyed tanks but the exact number is unknown)
Karl Leiner (son in law of Theodor Eicke)
Ron Klages - Trail of the Tigers
Wolfgang Schneider - Tigers in combat (2 vol)
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.