Kalmüken Verband Dr. Doll
- Published: 08 January 2012 08 January 2012
- Last Updated: 07 April 2012 07 April 2012
In January 1945 it was planned to be made a part of Kaukasischer Waffen-Verband der SS, but this never occurred.
It was reorganized as a reinforced cavalry regiment at Neuhammer and in March it was transferred to Croatia were it was subordinated to the XV SS Kosaken-Kavallerie-Korps. During the withdrawal to Austria most of the soldiers were captured by the partisans, the rest surrendered to the British forces only to be handed over to the USSR after the war.
It was also referred to as Kalmücken-Legion or Kalmücken-Kavallerie-Korps. Dr Doll was the codename of its first commander, Sonderführer Othmar Rudolf Werba.
CommandersSonderführer Othmar Rudolf Wrba (? Oct 1942 - ? July 1944)
Oberstleutnant Pipgorra (? Aug 1944 - ? Dec 1944)
Oberst Raimund Hoerst (? Jan 1945 -? May 1945)
InsigniaA visvavajra, a Buddhist thunderbolt-cross was worn as a sleeve insignia.
(Courtesy of Bundesarchiv/Wikimedia, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Germany)
Sources usedDr Jeffrey T. Fowler - Axis Cavalry in World War II
Richard Landwehr - Steadfast Hussars: The Last cavalry Divisions of the Waffen-SS
David Littlejohn - Foreign Legions of the Third Reich, vol 4
Antonio J. Munoz - The East came West: Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist Volunteers in the German Armed Forces 1941-1945
Pierre C.T. Verheye - The sleeve insignia of the Kalmücken-Verband Dr. Doll (in The Military Advisor, Vol 13 No 4)
Reference material on this unitAntonio J. Munoz - The East came West: Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist Volunteers in the German Armed Forces 1941-1945
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.