- Published: 05 April 2012 05 April 2012
- Last Updated: 07 April 2012 07 April 2012
by Henry L. deZeng IV
Special hospitals devoted to using the sulfur water, mineral water, hot springs, spa approach to treatment rather than the more modern medical approach. The total number of these in the Luftwaffe’s hospital network averaged about 10 during the wartime years. There were also a few small “Kurlazaretten” in some of the occupied countries that were more commonly referred to as “spas.” For example, there was one in or near Verviers in eastern Belgium. Those identified are:
KStN: 5388 (L).
Located in Amalfi/36 km SE of Naples in 1942-43. Relocated in fall 1943.
Lw.-Kurlazarett Baden bei Wien
Located in Baden/23 km SSW of Wien (Vienna)/Austria.
Oberstarzt Dr. (med.) Kurt Saupe (Aug 43 - ? )
Lw.-Kurlazarett Bad Schachen
Located in Bad Schachen/18 km SE of Friedrichshafen on Lake Constance in south Germany. In fall 1944 it was assigned a number and became Lw.-Kurlazarett 3/VII.
Located in Berwang/51 km WNW of Innbruck in western Austria. In fall 1944 it was assigned a number and became Lw.-Kurlazarett 2/VII.
Located in Kitzbühel/64 km SW of Salzburg in western Austria. In fall 1944 it was assigned a number and became Lw.-Kurlazarett 1/VII.
Not located (but probably in Bohemia-Moravia or Silesia). Subsequently upgraded to a Lw.-Lazarett.
Oberstarzt Dr. (med.) Ludwig Harriehausen ( ? - Oct 42)
Located in Rupprechtstegen/34 km NE of Nürnberg. In fall 1944 it was assigned a number and became Lw.-Kurlazarett 1/XII.
See Sanitätsbereitschaft (mot) d.Lw. 4/VII (Trop).
Located in Wildbad/18 km SSW of Pforzheim in the Schwarzwald (Black Forest) or Wildbad, Rothenburg ob der Tauber/55 km west of Nürnberg. Which one is unclear as both were/are noted spa resorts. Opened in 1938 and existed to the end of the war. Said to have had 1,800+ beds. In fall 1944 it was assigned a number and became Lw.-Kurlazarett 4/VII.
Not located, but in Bavaria or western Austria. In fall 1944 it was assigned a number and became Lw.-Kurlazarett 5/VII, but then disbanded at the end of 1944.
Not located, but possibly in the Luftgau XI area of northwestern Germany. It was small, with only a 100 bed capacity.
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.