Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 510
- Published: 08 January 2012 08 January 2012
- Last Updated: 19 May 2013 19 May 2013
The Schwere Panzer Abteilung 510 was formed in June 1944 at Paderborn and it July it was sent to Lithuania where it fought in the Kurland pocket until the end of the war attached to 14. Panzer-Division.
Elements of the Abt. were evacuated from Kurland. Via Kassel and Putlos they reached the Western Front and were engaged in last fighting there. This group went into captivity with the Western Allies. A Kampfgruppe with the last 15 Tiger tanks did stay in Kurland, commanded by Leutnant Wise. This part of the Abt. went into Soviet captivity.
Major Kurt Gilbert (? June 1944 - 8 May ? 1945)
Area of operations
Eastern front (Aug 1944 - May 1945)
|Campaign||New issue||Transfers in||Transfers out||Combat loss||Type of tank|
|Eastern Front||51||6||0||57||Tiger I|
|Western Front||0||2||0||2||Tiger I|
Holders of high awards
Holders of the Commendation Certificate of the Commander-in-Chief of the Army (1)
- Gilbert, Kurt, 25.11.1944 (4593), Major, Kdr. s.Pz.Abt. 510
Holders of the German Cross in Gold (4)
- Gilbert, Kurt, 30.03.1945, Major, s.Pz.Abt. 510
- Jentzsch, Hermann, 08.03.1945, Feldwebel d.R., 1./s.Pz.Abt. 510
- Stumpf, Erich, 27.11.1944, Oberleutnant, s.Pz.Abt. 510
- Wieninger, Johann, 20.01.1945, Oberfeldwebel, 1./s.Pz.Abt. 510
Holders of the Honor Roll Clasp of the Heer (2)
- Helpup, Hermann, 17.01.1945, Oberleutnant, s.Pz.Abt. 510
- Klähn, Otto, 25.12.1944, Oberleutnant d.R., 1./s.Pz.Abt. 510
Holders of the Knight's Cross (1)
- Höhno, Helmut 09.12.1944 Leutnant Zugführer i. d. s.Pz.Abt 510
Ron Klages - Trail of the Tigers
Wolfgang Schneider - Tigers in combat (2 vol)
Georg Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht 1933-1945
Gordon Williamson - German Army Elite Units, 1939-45
Reference material on this unit
Артефакт - 510 ТАНКОВЫЙ БАТАЛЬОН
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.