The Fallschirm-Infanterie-Kompanie was formed on 1 April 1937 at the Albrecht der Bär barracks in Stendal. Its members were men from various infantry units in the Heer who volunteered for a new secret unit and who had passed a series of physical and psychological tests.
The jump course was handled by the Luftwaffe at Borstel and started in May 1937, less than half of the men passed this course.

It was upgraded to battalion size on 1 June 1938 and redesignated Fallschirm-Infanterie-Bataillon.

Commanders

Major Richard Heidrich

Order of battle (April 1937)

Staff Squad
Communications Squad
3 x Infantry Platoon
Heavy Platoon
- Machine Gun Group
- Trench Mortar Group
- Engineer Group

Sources used

Eric Queen - Red shines the sun: A pictorial history of the Fallschirm-Infanterie

Reference material on this unit

Eric Queen - Red shines the sun: A pictorial history of the Fallschirm-Infanterie

Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.