- Published: 29 December 2011 29 December 2011
- Last Updated: 07 April 2012 07 April 2012
During the fighting in the Ardennes it saw action against, among others, the 328th US Infantry Regiment, whose commander, Colonel Ben R. Jacobs, in response to the Malmedy massacre, on 21 December 1944 issued an order stating "No SS troops or paratroopers will be taken prisoners but will be shot on sight", there is however no evidence that the order was carried out. (1)
CommandersOberst Hans-Joachim Kahler (Jul 1944-22 Dec 1944) (wounded)
Major René de l’ Homme de Courbière (22 Dec 1944-27 Dec 1944)
Oberst Hellmuth Mäder (27 Dec 1944-26 Jan 1945)
Holders of high awardsHolders of the Commendation Certificate of the Commander-in-Chief of the Army (2)
- Meier, Harald, 05.12.1944 (4722), Obergefreiter, Richtschütze i. d. 4./Pz.Gren.Btl./Führer-Gren.Brig.
- Schubert, Ernst, 05.12.1944 (4721), Oberleutnant, Chef 2./Pz.Füs.Btl./Führer-Gren.Brig.
Holders of the Honor Roll Clasp of the Heer (6)
- Apel, Heinrich, 05.12.1944, Leutnant, 1./Pz.Gren.Btl./Führer-Gren.Brig.
- Correus, Heinz, 05.03.1945, Oberleutnant, Pz.Rgt./Führer-Gren.Brig.
- Hucke, Friedrich, 15.12.1944, Unteroffizier, 1./Pz.Gren.Btl./Führer-Gren.Brig.
- Luchesi, Gustav, 05.12.1944, Oberleutnant, 1./Pz.Füs.Btl. /Führer-Gren.Brig.
- Peter, Ernst, 27.12.1944, Leutnant d.R., Pz.Pi.Kp./Führer-Gren.Brig.
- Uslar-Gleichen Freiherr von, Horst, 07.12.1944, Major, Pz.Abt./Führer-Gren.Brig.
Holders of the Knight's Cross (4)
- Heinrich, Willi 09.12.1944 Leutnant Führer 1./Pz.Abt Führer-Gren-Brig
- Hensel, Herbert 05.03.1945 Hauptmann Kdr Pz.Füs.Btl / Führer-Gren-Brig
- Kapsreiter, Franz 14.01.1945 Oberfeldwebel Zugführer i. d. 4.(Stug)/Führer-Gren-Brig
- Lehnhoff, Ernst-Günter 12.12.1944 Major Kdr Pz.Füs.Btl / Führer Gren-Brig
InsigniaAn “FG” monogram for wear on the shoulder straps was produced but it was apparently not widely worn. It was replaced by the standard “GD” monogram in late 1944; per Williamson the unit ceased using a monogram altogether in early 1945.
The “Großdeutschland” cuff title was authorized for this unit.
Footnotes1. "The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge" by Hugh M. Cole, Office of the Chief of Military History, Wahington D.C., 1965, page 264
Sources usedHugh M. Cole - The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge
Georg Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht 1933-1945
Gordon Williamson - German Army Elite Units, 1939-45
Reference material on this unitHelmuth Spaeter - The History of the Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland Vol 1-3
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.