- Published: 04 December 2011 04 December 2011
- Last Updated: 17 July 2013 17 July 2013
The Panzer-Division Holstein was formed in Denmark from elements of 233. Reserve-Panzer-Division in February 1945. It saw action near Kolberg and the surviving elements were used to reform 18. Panzergrenadier-Division in March together with Panzer-Division Schlesien and the staff was used in the formation of Panzer-Division Clausewitz.
Generalleutnant Max Fremerey (01 Feb 1945 - 16 Feb 1945) (1)
Oberst Ernst Wellmann (16 Feb 1945 - 30 Mar 1945)
Area of operations
Denmark, Germany & Berlin (Feb 1945 - Apr 1945)
Holders of high awards
Holders of the German Cross in Gold (1)
- Petersen, Willy, 00.00.0000, Oberleutnant, 3./Pz.Abt. 44 (2)
Holders of the Knight's Cross (1)
- Müller, Willy 14.04.1945 Major Kdr Pz.Pi.Btl 144
Order of battle
1. Generalleutnant Max Fremerey was at the same time commander of 233. Reserve-Panzer-Division. He was wounded on 16 February 1945.
2. He belongs to a group of soldiers who have "credibly proven" ("glaubhaft nachgewiesen") to have been awarded the decoration. The "Nachauflage" (1992) [addendum/2nd ed.] of the book by Horst Scheibert lists 50 recipients like that. 11 of them have been listed in the new standard work by Patzwall/Scherzer (2001,2003,2007) in the meatime and therefore can be regarded as confirmed. To enable further research, open for final confirmations as well as for rejections/proof of the contrary the status of the remaining 39 soldiers should be regarded as "credibly proven" per Scheibert and therefore this group is listed here for the time being.
Microfilm Publication A-3356, German Officer Personnel files, NARA
RKT & DKiGT karteikarten, BA/MA
Dermot Bradley, Karl-Friedrich Hildebrand, Markus Rövekamp - Die Generale des Heeres 1921-1945
Wolf Keilig - Die Generale des Heeres
Andris Kursietis - Die Wehrmacht at War 1939-1945
Kurt Mehner - Die Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945: Führung und Truppe
Samuel W. Mitcham Jr - The Panzer Legions: A guide to the German Army Tank Divisions of WWII and Their Commanders
Peter Schmitz, Klaus-Jürgen Thies, Günter Wegmann & Christian Zweng - Die deutschen Divisionen 1939-1945 (4 Vol)
Georg Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht 1933-1945
Günther Wegmann - Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht, Teil VIII a: Panzertruppe, Band 1
Günter Wegmann & Christian Zweng - Formationsgeschichte u. Stellenbesetzung der deutschen Streitkräfte, 1815-1990, Teile IV, Abt. 1: Die Dienststellen, Kommandobehörden u. Truppenteile des Heeres, Oct.35-May.45
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.