- Published: 17 November 2011 17 November 2011
- Last Updated: 15 June 2013 15 June 2013
The 114. Jäger-Division was formed 1 April 1943 by the reorganization and redesignation of the 714. Infanterie-Division. It was destroyed in Italy in April 1945 with the remaining elements surrendering to the US forces.
This unit took part in anti-partisan operations in Croatia.
Known war crimes
In the village of Filetto di Camarda 17 men were shot in retaliation of the killing of four German soldiers (1) 7 June 1944 and parts of the village was burned down. Famously the officer who ordered the killings, Matthias Defregger, became a bishop in Munich post-war and was forced to resign when investigations of the killing were reopened in 1969. (3)
In Gubbio 40 civilians were shot 22 June 1944 in reprisal of a partisan attack. (4)
This unit was one of those singled out in exhibit UK-66, the British report on "German reprisals for Partisan activities in Italy" at the International Military Tribunal (IMT) war crimes trial at Nuremberg:
Evidence has been found to show that a large number of the atrocities in Italy was committed by the Hermann Goering Parachute Panzer Division. Notable offenders also were 1 Paraschute Division, 16 SS Panzer Grenadier Division and 114 Light Division. (2)
General der Gebirgstruppen Karl Eglseer (? Apr 1943 - 1 Dec 1943)
Generalleutnant Alexander Bourquin (1 Dec 1943 - 19 May 1944)
Generalleutnant Dr. Hans Bölsen (19 May 1944 - 19 July 1944)
Generalmajor Hans-Joachim Ehlert (19 July 1944 - 15 Apr 1945)
Generalmajor Martin Strahammer (15 Apr 1945 - 23 Apr 1945)
Operations Officers (Ia)
Oberstleutnant Gottfried Annuss (10 Jun 1943-20 Apr 1945)
Vitzthum von Eckstädt (20 Apr 1945-1945)
Area of operations
Yugoslavia (Apr 1943 - Jan 1944)
Italy (Jan 1944 - Apr 1945)
Holders of high awards
Holders of the German Cross in Gold (7)
- Alheid, Heinrich, 08.03.1945, Oberleutnant d.R., Aufkl.Abt. 114
- Annuss, Gottfried, 27.10.1944, Oberstleutnant i.G., Ia 114. Jäg.Div.
- Dommick, Horst, 22.12.1944, Hauptmann, I./Jäg.Rgt. 721
- Guth, Friedrich, 28.05.1944, Leutnant, III./Jäg.Rgt. 721
- Jaeckel, Hans-Jürgen, 27.04.1945, Major, II./Art.Rgt. 661
- Müller, Klaus, 02.05.1944, Rittmeister, Aufkl.Abt. 114
- Wittenbecher, Fritz, 17.09.1944, Leutnant d.R., 6./Jäg.Rgt. 741
Holders of the Honor Roll Clasp of the Heer (2)
- Guth, Friedrich, 25.10.1944, Leutnant, 12./Jäg.Rgt. 721
- Volkmann, Georg, 07.11.1944, Oberfeldwebel, 2./Jäg.Rgt. 721
Holders of the Knight's Cross (2)
- Lindner, Martin 21.01.1945 Oberleutnant Chef 7./Jäg.Rgt 741
- Mueller-Georgé, Herbert 18.02.1945 Hauptmann Führer I./Jäg.Rgt 741
Holders of other notable badges & decorations
Holders of the Anti-Partisan Badge in Silver (2)
- Schubnell, Arthur, 05.02.1945, Oberjäger, 4.(M.G.)/Jäg.Rgt. 721
- Zawarty, Michael, 05.02.1945 , Obergefreiter, 8./ Jäger-Regiment 721
Holders of the Anti-Partisan Badge in Bronze (1)
- Sell, Albert, 04.02.1945, Oberjäger, 14./Jg.Rgt. 72
Order of battle
Heer Jäger Sleeve Badge
(Courtesy of The Ruptured Duck)
1. According to some sources it was only one German soldier who was killed.
2. UK-66, the British report on "German reprisals for Partisan activities in Italy" at the International Military Tribunal (IMT).
3. "The dissolution of power: A sociology of international relations and politics" by Silviu Brucan, Time Magazine - "The Bishop Who Was a Major", 18 July 1969, Time Magazine - "Bishop Under Duress", 28 September 1970, "La politica del massacro: per un atlante delle stragi naziste in Toscana" by Gianluca Fulvetti & Francesca Pelini, "Deutsche Kriegsverbrechen in Italien: Täter, Opfer, Strafverfolgung" by Gerhard Schreiber.
4. "Guerrilla in striped pants: a U.S. diplomat joins the Italian resistance" by Walter W. Orebaugh & Carol Jose, "Kesselring's last battle: War crimes trials and Cold War politics, 1945-1960" by Kerstin von Lingen, "Italy's sorrow: a year of war, 1944-45" by James Holland.
Silviu Brucan - The dissolution of power: A sociology of international relations and politics
Gianluca Fulvetti & Francesca Pelini - La politica del massacro: per un atlante delle stragi naziste in Toscana
James Holland - Italy's sorrow: A year of war, 1944-45
Kerstin von Lingen - Kesselring's last battle: War crimes trials and Cold War politics, 1945-1960
Walter W. Orebaugh & Carol Jose - Guerrilla in striped pants: a U.S. diplomat joins the Italian resistance
Gerhard Schreiber - Deutsche Kriegsverbrechen in Italien: Täter, Opfer, Strafverfolgung
Georg Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht 1933-1945
Time Magazine - "The Bishop Who Was a Major", 18 July 1969
Time Magazine - "Bishop Under Duress", 28 September 1970
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.