logo-inf-244

The 244. Infanterie-Division was formed in September 1943 near Antwerpen by the redesignation of Division E which had been undergoing formation from convalescents of the 340. Infanterie-Division. The service and supply elements were formed from the disbanded 39. Infanterie-Division.
The division was destroyed in August 1944 at Marseilles. It was formally disbanded on 7 October 1944.

Commanders

Generalleutnant Martin Gilbert (1 Sep 1943 - 14 Apr 1944)
Generalleutnant Hans Schäfer (14 Apr 1944 - 28 Aug 1944)

Operations Officers (Ia)

Oberstleutnant Johannes Bretschneider (Aug 1943-Jan 1944)
Major Walter Merz (1 Feb 1944-Aug 1944)

Area of operations

Belgium & France (Sep 1943 - Aug 1944)

Order of battle (1944)

Grenadier-Regiment 932 (1)
Grenadier-Regiment 933
Grenadier-Regiment 934 (2)
Artillerie-Regiment 244
Pionier-Bataillon 244
Nachrichten-Abteilung 244
Feldersatz-Bataillon 244
Nachrichten-Abteilung 244
Versorgungseinheiten 244

Footnotes

1. Ost-Bataillon 666 incorporated as IV. Bataillon on 19 April 1944.
2. Ost-Bataillon 681 incorporated as IV. Bataillon on 19 April 1944.

Sources used

Georg Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht 1933-1945

Reference material on this unit

- None known at this time -

Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.