The German Replacement Army: Wehrkreis XII
- Published: 29 December 2011 29 December 2011
- Last Updated: 07 April 2012 07 April 2012
WEHRKREIS XII – HQ: Wiesbaden.
Divisions Affiliated with Wkr.XII:
15 PzGR, 22 Pz, 36, 65, 79, 85, 91, 111, 112, Part 132, 164, 172 Rep, 182 Res, 197, 246, 263, 342, 348, 389, 412, 462 VG, 545 VG, 556, 712.
Kommandeur der Ersatztruppen XII (Commander of Replacement Troops, Wkr.XII.)
- Aug.1939: Formed in Wiesbaden.
- Oct.1939: Renamed Kommandeur der Ersatztruppen 1./XII
- 3 Nov.1939: The staff (under the name Division “Fischer”) was transferred to Gneseu, Poland (Wkr.XXI.).
Div.Nr.172 (172.Replacement and Training Division)
Home Station: Mainz.
- 7 Nov.1939: Formed as 171.Division from the staff of Kdr.d.Ers.Trpn.1./XII (Division “Fischer”).
- 23 Dec.1939: Renamed Div.Nr.172 and conducted Training and Replacement operations for Wkr.XII personnel in Gneseu, Poland, until its return to Mainz in Aug.1940.
- 1943: Stationed in Darmstadt.
- Sep.1944: Part of Div.Nr.172 formed KGrp.”Castorf” for employment with AOK 7, in Trier.
- 23 Nov.1944: Restructured as the 172.Res.Div. and sent to the west.
Order of Battle – Mar.1940 :
Inf.Ers.Reg.33 (Inf.Ers.Btl.104, 110, 115)
Inf.Ers.Reg.34 (Inf.Ers.Btl.80, 105, 107)
Inf.Ers.Reg.36 (Inf.Ers.Btl.70, 87, 118)
Grenz-Inf.Ers.Reg.125 (Grenz-Inf.Ers.Btl.124, 125, 127, 129)
Kommandeur der Ersatztruppen 2./XII.
- Oct.1939: Formed in Wkr.XII.
- 3 Nov.1939: The staff (under the name Division “Bayer”) was transferred to Lodz, Poland (Wkr.XXI.).
Div.Nr.182 (182.Replacement and Training Division)
Home Station: Koblenz.
- 7 Nov.1939: Formed as 182.Division form the staff of Kdr.d.Ers.Trpn.2./XII (Division “Bayer”).
- 23 Dec.1939: Renamed Div.Nr.182 and conducted Replacement and Training functions for Wkr.XII personnel in Lodz, Poland until its return to Koblenz in Aug.1940.
- Jul.1941: Stationed in Nancy, eastern France.
- Jul.1942: Upgraded to 182.Infanteriedivision. During this period its Replacement units were sent back to Wkr.XII and later to Nancy, France, to form Division “Nanzig”.
Order of Battle – Mar.1940 :
Inf.Ers.Reg.79 (Inf.Ers.Btl.208, 212, 226)
Inf.Ers.Reg.246 (Inf.Ers.Btl.313, 352, 404)
Inf.Ers.Reg.263 (Inf.Ers.Btl.463, 483, 485)
Div.Nr.462 (462.Replacement and Training Division)
Home Station: Metz.
- 15 Oct.1942: Formed, in Nancy, France, as Div.Nr.462 from the staff of Division “Nanzig” (the Replacement units of the earlier upgraded 182.Res.Div.).
- Dec.1942: Transferred to Metz to relieve Division “Metz”.
- Jul.1944: Div.Nr.462 was renamed 462.Ausbildungs Division (462nd Training Division). Its headquarters were situated at Metz while it controlled various Replacement and Training battalions in Lorraine and Luxemburg. The 462nd was under the command of stellv.Generalkommando XII in Wiesbaden at this time.
- Oct.1944: Upgraded to 462.Infanteriedivision and lost to the Ersatzheer.
Order of Battle – Dec.1943 :
Gren.Ers.Reg.246 (Gren.Ers.Btl.125, 313, 352)
Gren.Ers.Reg.552 (Gren.Ers.Btl.208, 212, 226, 321, 697, 698)
Gren.Ers.Reg.572 (Gren.Ers.Btl.110, 256, 437, 438, 463, 483, 485)
OTHER ERSATZHEER UNITS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS WEHRKREIS:
Div.Stb.z.b.V.412 (Special Administrative Division Staff)
- 12 Oct.1940: Formed from the staff of Div.Stb.445.
- Oct.1940: Used to form the staff of 4 Geb.Div.
Order of Battle - Mar.1940:
Div.Stb.z.b.V.444 (Special Administrative Division Staff)
- 24 Oct.1939: Formed
- Mar.1941: Used to form the 444.Sicherungsdivision (444.Security Division).
Div.Stb.z.b.V.445 (Special Administrative Division Staff)
- 14 Oct.1939: Formed
- Oct.1940: Renamed Div.Stb.412.
391. Feldausbildungsdivision (391.Field Training Division)
- Aug.1942: Staff formed in Wkr.XII with the remainder coming from Wkr. I and X. It was formed to supply Training functions for Heeresgruppe Mitte (Army Group Centre).
- Mar.1944: Transferred to Heeresgruppe Nord (Army Group North), its personnel were disbursed throughout the HGrp. and its staff formed 391.Sicherungsdivision (391.Securtiy Division).
Order of Battle:
391. (Feldausbildungs-)Division 1942:
Infanterie-(Feldausbildungs-) Regiment 718
Infanterie-(Feldausbildungs-) Regiment 719
Infanterie-(Feldausbildungs-) Regiment 720
Fld-Ers.Div.“E” (Field Replacement Division “E”)
- Aug.1941: Formed, in Wkr.XII, to assist with the Replacements to the Ostheer (literally “East Army”).
- Oct.1941: Unit returned to Wkr.XII and was dissolved, later to be reformed in Jan.1942, only to be dissolved again in Mar.1942.
Order of Battle – 1941 :
Ersatz- Brigade 202 (202.Replacement and Training Brigade)
- Jun.1941: Formed, in Mannheim, as a Replacement and Training Brigade for the Army Groups of the eastern front.
- Jul.1942: Transferred to the Generalgouvernement, it also performed occupation duties.
- Dec.1941: Transferred to Weißruthenien, it was converted to a Sicherung (Security) Brigade and later saw duty with Wehrbereich Ukraine / Heeresguppe Sud.
Ersatz- Brigade 999 (999th Replacement and Training Brigade).
- Dec.1943: Upgraded to Brigade status. Originally formed in Wkr.V, in Feb.1943, to supply Replacement and Training functions for the 999.Light Africa Division, this unit was upgraded from Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 999 while at Truppenübungsplatz (Troop Exercise Area) Baumholder in Wkr.XII. It was made up, primarily, of political prisoners and criminals.
- Sep.1944: The unit was dissolved.
Kommandeur der Schnelletruppen XII (Commander of Mobile Troops, Wkr.XII.)
- May 1942: Formed in Landau from Stab Schützen-Ersatz-Regiment 12 (Staff: 12th Rifle [Infantry] Replacement Regiment) to supply Replacement and Training functions for the mobile troops of Wkr.XII.
- Apr.1943: Renamed Kommandeur der Panzertruppen.XII