4. Gendarmerie Regiment (Croatia)
- Published: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
- Last Updated: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
(4. oružnička pukovnija)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed 1 May 1941 in Sarajevo from elements of the former “Drinski” Gendarmerie Rgt. of the Royal Yugoslav Gendarmerie. (1)
1941-45: urban and rural police duties, such as manning Gendarmerie stations and carrying out patrols.
13 Jul 41: total Regiment strength approximately 1,100.
1942: Rgt. HQ moved from Sarajevo to Tuzla in early 1942.
Nov 43: Rgt. HQ transferred from Tuzla to Slavonski Brod in late October or early November 1943.
Mar 44: Rgt. HQ now said to be in Banja Luka (very doubtful).
Gend. Pukovnik Krešimir Pavelić (1 May 1941 - ?)
Gend. Pukovnik Mato Rupčić (? - ?) Sep 1941
Gend. Pukovnik Emanuel Mažek (c. Nov 1941 - ?) Feb 1943
Gend. Pukovnik Antun Čurić (? - ?) Nov 1943
Order of Battle (Jan 1943)
Rgt. HQ in Tuzla with Gendarmerie Wings (Oruz.krila) Tuzla, Sarajevo, Brod, Vukovar, Zemun.
Order of Battle (1 Sep 1944)
Rgt. HQ in Slavonski Brod with county or local (kotar) sub-commands in Tuzla (3 detachments), Slavonski Brod (3 detachments), Vukovar (3 detachments).
1. Arhiv VII, kut. 114b, reg.br. 1/2; kut. 134a, reg.br. f.3/1-96; [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Zbornik dokumenata i podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda, Tom IV/9, p.384; NARA WashDC: RG 165 (Ser. 79, Box 738, CSDIC CMF AAI (East)/AB 245 dated 27 May 44); Narodne novine government gazette.
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.