1. Gendarmerie Regiment (Croatia)
- Published: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
- Last Updated: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
(1. oružnička pukovnija)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed 1 May 1941 in Zagreb from elements of the former “Savski” Gendarmerie Rgt. of the Royal Yugoslav Gendarmerie. (1)
1941-45: urban and rural police duties, such as manning Gendarmerie stations and carrying out patrols.
13 Jul 41: total Regiment strength approximately 1,800.
1 May 42: Rgt. HQ moved from Zagreb to Sisak on or about this date.
15 Jan 44: HQ still in Sisak.
Mar 44: HQ possibly now back in Zagreb.
Gend. Pukovnik Dragutin Čanić (May 1941 - Mar 1942)
Gend. Pukovnik Vojislav Rubin (? - ?) Feb 1942
Gend. Podpukovnik Emil Duffek (? Apr 1942 - ?) Oct 1942
Gend. Pukovnik Krešimir Pavelić (? - ?) Nov 1943, Jan 1944
Order of Battle (Jan 1942)
Rgt. HQ in Zagreb with Gendarmerie Wings (Oruz.krila) Zagreb, Petrinja, Varaždin, Bjelovar, Brod, Osijek, Vinkovci, Karlovac, Ogulin
Order of Battle (1 Sep 1944)
Rgt. HQ in Zagreb with county or local (kotar) sub-commands in Zagreb (3 detachments), Varaždin (3 detachments), Bjelovar (4 detachments), Petrinja (3 detachments), Ogulin (2 detachments), Karlovac (1 detachment)
1. Arhiv VII, kut. 134a, reg.br. f.3/1-96; [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Zbornik dokumenata i podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda, Tom V/1, p.283; V/4, p.456; V/5, p.642; V/12, p.481; V/32; [ - ] - Gradja za povijest narodnooslobodilačke borbe u sjeverozapadnoj Hrvatsko 1941-1945, 5 volumes (Zagreb, 1982-87), Vol. I, pp.110, 116, 211, 246, 330; Vol. II, pp.106 and 211; Vol. III, p.451; NARA WashDC: RG 165 (Ser. 79, Box 738, CSDIC CMF AAI (East)/AB 245 dated 27 May 44); RG 242 (T-314 roll 1545/616); Narodne novine government gazette.
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.