14. Ustasha Preparatory Battalion "Baranja"
- Published: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
- Last Updated: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
(14. pripremna ustaška bojna “Baranja”)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Place and date of formation are not known, but the seat of Velika Župa Baranja was in Osijek. On 6 February 1942 some 400 men from the Battalion took part in a small anti-Partisan sweep in the Papuk Mountains to the southwest of Osijek. The Bn. HQ with 1st – 4th Co. were permanently stationed in Osijek on 1 Oct 42, but the men were noted as being attached to Gendarmerie stations throughout Velika Župa Baranja. It was still listed in Osijek on 1 December 1942 and reported its total strength as 774. No further information has been found, but it was probably disbanded in 1943 and its personnel used to replenish other Ustasha units, especially those belonging to II Ustasha Brigade. (1)
1. [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Zbornik dokumenata i podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda. Tom V/32, p.192; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-821 roll 53/367; roll 448/627).
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.