2. Ustasha Preparatory Battalion "Bilogora"
- Published: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
- Last Updated: 07 February 2013 07 February 2013
(2. pripremna ustaška bojna “Bilogora”)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Place and date of formation unknown, but the seat of Velika Župa Bilogora was in Bjelovar. In April 1942 it was in Zagreb. The first comprehensive listing for the Battalion is dated 1 October 1942 with the Bn. HQ in Bjelovar, 1st Co. in Garešnica assigned to security duties, 2d Co. in Herzegovac assigned to security duties, 3d Co. deployed as a light infantry force and 4th Co. in Garešnica assigned to security duties. On 1 December 1942 the Battalion reported a total strength of 457 men. From this point forward, the history of the Battalion is unclear. On 10 May 1943 it reportedly attacked elements of the Split NOP Detachment in a village near Sinj in Dalmatia losing 9 killed. It is unlikely that the Battalion was transferred to Dalmatia, so this incident may be a misidentification or perhaps one of its companies was temporarily sent to Dalmatia. In any event, there is no further information on the Battalion. (1)
1. Arhiv VII, kut. 134a, reg.br. 4/1; [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Hronologija oslobodilačke borbe naroda jugoslavije 1941-1945, p.477; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-821 roll 53/367; roll 448/627).
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.