4. Military Frontier Battalion (Croatia)
- Published: 17 February 2013 17 February 2013
- Last Updated: 17 February 2013 17 February 2013
(4. Vokra bojna)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed mid-July 1941 in Vlasenica/East Bosnia by renaming the 4th Expeditionary Battalion. (1)
10 Aug 41: elements of the Battalion stationed in Vlasenica/46 km SSE of Tuzla were forced out of the town and some captured when it was attacked and taken by a joint Partisan-Chetnik force.
18 Aug 41: 105 men from the Bn. were captured by Chetniks in Drinjača near Zvornik along the Drina River.
Dec 41: Battalion HQ in Sarajevo. [Note: this does not appear to be correct, even though it comes from primary sources].
10 Jan 42: Bn. HQ in Vareš/34 km N of Sarajevo.
21 Mar 42: Bn. HQ now in Sokolac/31 km E of Sarajevo.
16-25 Apr 42: participated in Operation “Trio”, a large-scale joint German-Italian-Croatia anti-partisan operation along the Drina River.
5 May 42: Bn. HQ in Bursaći to take part in Operation “Foča” in the Jahorina Mountains to the southeast of Sarajevo. The Battalion had three companies (1st – 3d).
11 May 42: ordered disbanded this date and its men incorporated into III Corps.
3-22 Jun 42: elements of the Battalion reportedly participated in Operation “Zenica – Zavidovići” in East Bosnia, so the disbanding of the Battalion was evidently delayed, probably at the request of the Germans.
Podpukovnik Školivar (? July 1941 - ?)
Bojnik Petar Gregurić (? - ?) Jan 1942
1. Arhiv VII, kut. 134a; Colić, Mladen - Takozvana Nezavisna Država Hrvatska 1941 (Belgrade: Delta-pres, 1973), pp.224-26; Colić, Mladen - Oružane snage NDH u Bosni i Hercegovini 1942-1943, in: AVNOJ i narodnooslobodilačka borba u Bosni i Hercegovini 1942-1943 (Belgrade, 1974), pp.346-47; [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Hronologija oslobodilačke borbe naroda jugoslavije 1941-1945 (Belgrade, 1964), p.211; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-315 roll 2266/963 and 1035; roll 2269/1000; roll 2267/565; roll 2270/1-256).
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -