3. Military Frontier Battalion (Croatia)
- Published: 17 February 2013 17 February 2013
- Last Updated: 17 February 2013 17 February 2013
(3. Vokra bojna)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed mid-July 1941 in Višegrad/East Bosnia by renaming the 3d Expeditionary Battalion. (1)
Dec 41: Battalion HQ in Srebrenica/75 km ENE of Sarajevo. [Note: this does not appear to be correct, even though it comes from primary sources].
10 Jan 42: Bn. HQ in Visoko/24 km NW of Sarajevo.
20 Feb 42: supported the Ustasha “Black Legion” during an offensive from Sokolac in the direction of Rogatica.
10 Mar 42: HQ now in Rogatica/46 km E of Sarajevo.
16-25 Apr 42: participated in Operation “Trio”, a large-scale joint German-Italian-Croatia anti-partisan operation along the Drina River.
5 May 42: took part in Operation “Foča” in the Jahorina Mountains to the southeast of Sarajevo.
11 May 42: ordered disbanded this date and its men incorporated into III Corps.
3-22 Jun 42: elements of the Battalion reportedly participated in Operation “Zenica – Zavidovići” in East Bosnia, so the disbanding of the Battalion was evidently delayed, probably at the request of the Germans.
Bojnik Petar Gregurić (? July 1941 - ?)
Satnik Širija Hadžić ( ? - ? ) Jan 1942
1. Arhiv VII, kut. 134a; Colić, Mladen - Takozvana Nezavisna Država Hrvatska 1941 (Belgrade: Delta-pres, 1973), pp.224-26; Colić, Mladen - Oružane snage NDH u Bosni i Hercegovini 1942-1943, in: AVNOJ i narodnooslobodilačka borba u Bosni i Hercegovini 1942-1943 (Belgrade, 1974), pp.346-47; [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Hronologija oslobodilačke borbe naroda jugoslavije 1941-1945 (Belgrade, 1964), p.211; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-315 roll 2266/963 and 1035; roll 2269/1000; roll 2267/565; roll 2270/1-256).
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.