2. Military Frontier Battalion (Croatia)
- Published: 17 February 2013 17 February 2013
- Last Updated: 17 February 2013 17 February 2013
(2. Vokra bojna)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed mid-July 1941 in Goražde/50 km SE of Sarajevo in East Bosnia by renaming the 2d Expeditionary Battalion. (1)
13 Oct 41: the Romanija Partisan Detachment and elements of the Kalinovik Detachment, after first clearing Ustasha Militia from the surrounding villages, attacked Rogatica, which was bravely and stubbornly defended by the 2d Military Frontier Battalion and 700-800 Ustasha. The Croatians made several attempts to relieve Rogatica, the last of these on 22 October, but the relief forces were turned back and the town fell to the Partisans a few days later.
Dec 41: Battalion HQ in Drinjača/48 km SE of Tuzla on the Drina River. [Note: this does not appear to be correct, even though it comes from primary sources].
10 Jan 42: Bn. HQ in Ilidža/9 km W of Sarajevo.
5 May 42: HQ in Prača/28 km SE of Sarajevo - it had 3 companies (1st – 3d) deployed in and around there and Goražde. Over the next week the Battalion took part in Operation “Foča”, Foča being a town located on the Drina Rover 29 km south of Prača.
11 May 42: disbanded this date and its men incorporated into III Corps.
Podpukovnik Ivan Pilar (? Jul 1941 - ?)
Podpukovnik Alija Demidžić (? - 11 May 1942)
1. Arhiv VII, kut. 134a; Colić, Mladen - Takozvana Nezavisna Država Hrvatska 1941 (Belgrade: Delta-pres, 1973), pp.224-26; Colić, Mladen - Oružane snage NDH u Bosni i Hercegovini 1942-1943, in: AVNOJ i narodnooslobodilačka borba u Bosni i Hercegovini 1942-1943 (Belgrade, 1974), pp.346-47; [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Oslobodilački rat naroda Juooslavije 1941-1945 (Belgrade: 1965), Vol. I, pp.145; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-315 roll 2269/1000; roll 2266/963); (T-821 roll 53/269).
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.