7. Garrison Brigade (Croatia)
- Published: 16 February 2013 16 February 2013
- Last Updated: 16 February 2013 16 February 2013
(7. Posadni Zdrug)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed on or about 1 April 1944 with HQ in Hrv. Mitrovica (today Sremska Mitrovica) by consolidating and renaming a variety of existing quasi-independent garrison battalions and other units. The Brigade was comparatively quite small with approximately 2,000 personnel. Tactically subordinated to German Befehlshaber Syrmien. (1)
Apr – Nov 44: the Brigade changed locations within Syrmia quite frequently, especially the three assault companies, as it was ordered from hot spot to hot spot. It took part in several anti-partisan operations, usually securing the flank and line of communication (roads) for the more combat-capable units. The Fruška Gora mountains in Syrmia provided cover for a fairly large Partisan force.
Pukovnik Gjurgjević (Apr 1944 - 30 Nov 1944?)
II Territorial Corps (Apr 1944 - 30 Nov 1944)
Order of battle (15 Aug 1944)
Brigade HQ and Administrative Section in Hrv. Mitrovica
I Bn. (1st – 4th and 6th Assault Co.) in Ruma (HQ) – Klenak – Nikinci – Platičevo – Vrdnik, Bojnik Filipović (587)
II Bn. (1st – 4th and 6th Assault Co.) in the Bosut area just west of Hrv. Mitrovica with Bn. HQ in Trpinja near Vukovar, Bojnik Čukon (371)
III Bn. (1st – 4th and 6th Assault Co.) in Hrv. Mitrovica (HQ) – Krušedol – Beočin, Bojnik Milivoj Rendić (519)
IV Bn. (1st – 3d Co.) in Petrovaradin (HQ) – Zemun – Kamenica (this Bn. disbanded in Sep 44)
Engineer Platoon in Hrv. Mitrovica
Signal Platoon in Hrv. Mitrovica
1. Arhiv Vojnoistorijski institut, kut. 60, reg.br. 32/2; [Vojnoistorijski institute]. Zbornik dokumenata I podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda. Tom I/17, pp.594-96; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-311 roll 192/533; roll 196/389); Strugar, Vlado. Jugoslavija 1941-1945.
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.