4. Garrison Brigade (Croatia)
- Published: 16 February 2013 16 February 2013
- Last Updated: 16 February 2013 16 February 2013
(4. Posadni Zdrug)
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formed on or about 1 April 1944 with HQ in Sisak by consolidating and renaming a variety of existing quasi-independent garrison battalions and other units. This was a comparatively weak garrison brigade and its strength fluctuated between 1,500 and 1,800. It was tactically under German 1. Kos.Kav.Div. and LXIX. Armeekorps. (1)
Apr – May 44: Brigade area around Sisak and Petrinja relatively quiet.
15 Jun 44: after a 3-hour fight with elements of Partisan 8th Division, the Brigade was forced out of the village of Buševec near Velika Gorica.
14-15 Sep 44: III Bn. successfully defended Žažina during an 8-hour night assault by the Karlovac Brig/34th Division NOVJ.
22-23 Nov 44: II Bn. lost 48 men captured when the villages of Peščenica and Lekenik were attacked and temporarily taken by components of 34th Division NOVJ.
1 Dec 44: renamed 14th Domobran Brigade and assigned to 4th Croatian Inf. Div.
Pukovnik Ivan (Stjepan?) Mifek (? - 30 Nov 1944)
I Territorial Corps (Apr 1944 - 30 Nov 1944)
Order of battle (Sep 1944)
Brigade HQ and Administrative Section in Sisak (total estimated Brigade strength: 1,659)
I Bn. (1st – 3d Co.) in Sisak-Caprag, Bojnik Josip Soldić (474)
II Bn. (1st – 2d Co.) in Petrinja, Satnik Josip Brenec (380)
III Bn. in Turopolje-Žažina, Satnik? Slavko Kaštelan (c. 500)
1st Battery/4th Garrison Brig. ( 4 x 100mm guns) in Petrinja, Nadporučnik Keitner (120)
Auxiliary Co. in Petrinja (c. 150)
1. Arhiv Vojnoistorijski institut, kut. 114b, reg.br. 1/2; kut. 134a, reg.br. 2/1; [Vojnoistorijski institute]. Zbornik dokumenata I podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda. Tom V; [Vojnoistorijski institute]. Hronologija oslobodilačke borbe naroda jugoslavije 1941-1945, pp.791, 897 and 1005; Strugar, Vlado. Jugoslavija 1941-1945.
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -