Recruit Battalions (Croatia)
- Published: 17 February 2013 17 February 2013
- Last Updated: 17 February 2013 17 February 2013
by H.L. deZeng IV
[Note: some or all of these may have belonged to the Recruit Regiments, but it has not been possible from the few remaining documents to identify which ones they belonged to.]
IX Recruit Battalion
Formed in 1942. (1)
26 Sep 42: stationed in Sisak.
26 Jan 43: in positions around Draganić - attacked by elements of two Partisan brigades losing many killed and wounded plus two officers and 70 men captured.
9 Feb 43: Bn. attacked for two days in positions around Draganić by elements of 5 Partisan brigades, eventually losing 4 officers and 140 men taken prisoner.
15 Feb 43: Bn. transferred from Draganić to Zagreb, filled up with men and equipment, and then sent to Petrinja. It is not mentioned again and was probably used to replenish 5th Mountain Brigade located there.
X Recruit Battalion
Formed in 1942. (2)
Jun 42: stationed in Glina - participated in Operation “West-Bosnien” under the tactical control of the Petrinja Brigade.
15 Dec 42: still stationed in Glina.
12 Feb 43: now in Petrinja under the control of the Petrinja Brigade. Not mentioned again and was probably used to replenish 5th Mountain Brigade located in the Petrinja – Glina area.
XI Recruit Battalion
Formed in 1942. (3)
Jun 42: took part in Operation “West-Bosnien” under the Banja Luka Brigade.
15 Aug 42: under the senior Croatian command in Banja Luka.
11 Nov 42: Banja Luka area with 1st – 4th Co. under Tactical Brigade Banja Luka - most of the Battalion was used to form IV./4th Mountain Brigade before the end of November.
29 Dec 42: the last remaining elements of the Battalion were used to replenish III Bn./5th Infantry Rgt. in Banja Luka.
Karlovac Recruit Battalion
Formed in January 1942 in Karlovac. (4)
18 Mar 42: participated in Operation “Petrova gora”, a month-long offensive under the command of the Utinjski Brigade to engage and destroy Partisan concentrations (1st and 2d Kordun NOP Detachments) in the Petrova gora (mountains) in the Kordun between Vojnić and Topusko. The sweep through the area was conducted with ruthless brutality with no quarter given by either side.
Apr 42: Bn. disbanded and all 800 recruits sent to the mountain brigades.
1. [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Zbornik dokumenata I podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda, Tom V/11, p.514; V/32; [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Hronologija oslobodilačke borbe naroda jugoslavije 1941-1945, pp.411 and 425; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-315 roll 1553/127); Narodne novine issue 26 Jan 43.
2. [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Zbornik dokumenata I podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda, Tom V/12, p.425.
3. NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-315 roll 2258/1212 and 1309); (T-501 roll 249/009).
4. [ - ] - Druga godina narodnooslobodilačkog rata na području Karlovaca, Korduna, Gline, Like, Gorskog kotara, Pokuplja i Žumberka, p.57.
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.