3. Bereitschaftsbataillon ES der DM "Maximilian Emanuel von Bayern"
- Published: 08 April 2012 08 April 2012
- Last Updated: 08 April 2012 08 April 2012
by H.L. deZeng IV
Formation began in May or June 1942 using older reservists from within the Volksdeutsche community in Croatia. The term “Bereitschaftsbataillon” best translates as Standby Duty Battalion. These had a lesser status in terms of age of the personnel, training, availability and expectations than the Verfügungsbataillon. (1)
28 Sep 42: all or elements of the Battalion took part in Operation “Jajce I” to retake the town of that name after it was captured by Partisans on 25 September.
1 Oct 42: permanent stations: Bn. HQ in Virovitica, 1st Co. in Virovitica, 2d Co. deployed in the field, 3d Co. in Djulavec (today: Miokovićevo)/25 km NE of Daruvar.
4 Oct 42: participated in a joint cleansing operation in the Bilogora Mountains near Virovitica with the Croatian 4th Mountain Brigade.
7 Oct 42: Bn. HQ now in Djulavec (today: Miokovićevo), probably having moved there temporarily for the operation in the Bilogora Mountains.
1 Dec 42: Bn. HQ now back in Virovitica. Composition still 1st – 3d Co.
11 Jan 43: Engaged in offensive operations in the Voćin area with elements of Croatian 1st Mountain Division.
30 Jan 43: elements of the Bn. transferred from Djulavec to Nova Gradiška.
10 Feb 43: 3d Co. in Djulavec sent as part of a relief force during a night attack on Virovitica by three Partisan brigades.
Mar 43: ordered to hand over only those men of birth year 1908 and younger for mustering into the Waffen-SS, and these were to be replaced with older Volksdeutschen from Osijek.
14 Apr 43: 8 men from the Bn. killed and 10 more injured when Armored Train Group “Böckl” accidentally derailed near Pivnica in the vicinity of Virovitica.
15-30 Apr 43: Bn. transferred from the Virovitica area to Osijek where it was disbanded and its qualified personnel mustered into the Waffen-SS.
Maj.d.ES Fritz Böckl (? - Apr 1943) Oct 1942
HQ ES der DM in Osijek (Mar 1942 - Apr 1943)
1. Colić, Mladen - Oružane formacije Nezavisne Države Hrvatske u sjeverozapadnoj Hrvatskoj, Slavoniji i Srijemu 1941-1945, in: Vojnoistorijski Glasnik, br. 3/XXX (Sep – Dec 1979), pp.151-84; [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Zbornik dokumenata i podataka o narodnooslobodilačkom ratu jugoslovenskih naroda, Tom V/11, p.377; V/12, p.451; V/14, p.463; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-120 roll 5802/H313245-46); (T-315 roll 1553/097; roll 2270/1032-36); Vojnoistorijski glasnik, 1952-54, p.90; plus the sources cited in the Introduction.
Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.