Operation "Delphin" (1943-11-15)
- Published: 23 January 2011 23 January 2011
- Last Updated: 07 April 2012 07 April 2012
Dates: 15 November – 1 December 1943. (1)
Objective: To mop up Partisan elements on the Dalmatian islands facing Zadar and Sibenik in Central Dalmatia: Ugljan, Pašman, Iž, Sestrunj, Kornat, Zut, Dugi Otok and Molat.
Enemy Forces: Otočki NOP Detachment and naval units of the 3d Naval District Sector NOVJ.
114. Jäger-Division (main force)
264. Infanterie-Division (elements)
KM Flak cruiser Niobe, 1 destroyer, several gunboats, 2 armed steamers, 3 Siebel ferries and numerous smaller ships, boats and landing craft.
- none -
Conduct of Operations and Results: The amphibious operation ran according to plan but most of the Partisans avoided battle with the German forces. Some of them escaped to the island of Vis farther out into the Adriatic. Although no after-action reports have been found, it is not thought that this operation proved very successful in terms of inflicting losses on the Partisan enemy.
1. [Vojnoistorijski institute] - Hronologija oslobodilačke borbe naroda jugoslavije 1941-1945 (Belgrade, 1964), p.601; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-314 roll 558/412-57).
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.