Infantry Regiment 24 (Finland)

Jalkaväkirykmentti 24 (Infantry Regiment 24) was disbanded 1 March 1944.
Most of the Jewish soldiers serving in the Finnish forces during the Continuation War served in III/JR 24 and that unit also built a field synagogue in the Svir sector. The German Infanterie-Regiment 310 of 163. Infanterie-Division was stationed nearby but the Germans had to accept the existence of a synagogue to avoid damaging the relations with the Finnish comrades in arms.

About 50 Swedish volunteers served in this regiment.


Note. This unit history covers the Continuation War unit with this name, there was no continuity between similarly numbered regiments during in the Winter War and Continuation War.

Commanders

eversti Bertil Heinrichs (19 June 1941 - 21 Jan 1944)
eversti Kai Savonjousi (22 Jan 1944 - 24 Feb 1944)
majuri Börje Backström (24 Feb 1944 - 1 Mar 1944)

Sources used

Mikko Kohvakka - Jatkosodan suomalaisjoukot ja niiden komentajat
Hannu Reime - Un-Finnish business (Haaretz, 8 October 2010)
Nicolas von Schmidt-Laussitz - Svenskarna vid Jandeba: Svenska frivilligkompaniet 1942-1944

Reference material on this unit

- None known at this time -

Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.