History of the NSKK
- Published: 22 January 2012 22 January 2012
- Last Updated: 07 April 2012 07 April 2012
When the NSAK was formed the Kraftfahrstaffeln were not transferred to the NSAK but were reorganized as the Motor-SA. The members of Motor-SA were however automatically members of the NSAK, but not reverse. All commanders of NSAK were SA-officers but most of the regular members were not.
SA-Gruppenführer Adolf Hühnlein was made commander of the NSAK and suggested renaming it to the NSKK and this was accepted by SA-leader Ernst Röhm who was in the process of reorganizing the SA.
When Adolf Hitler became chancellor in 1933 the NSKK expanded rapidly to 30.000 members. After Röhm and the SA-leadership were murdered during the Night of long knives (30 June 1934) the Motor-SA became a part of the NSKK and it was made an independent organization.
The NSKK took over all German motor clubs in September 1933 and expanded to 350.000 members. After Austria was made a part of Germany in March 1938 the NSKK expanded to over 500.000 members.
On 27 January 1939 the NSKK was made responsible for the training of drivers for the army in the NSKK Motor Sports Schools. When the war broke out the NSKK provided transports for the construction of the Siegfried Line (the defenses along the western border), assisted in traffic control, resettlement of Volksdeutsche from Soviet-controlled areas (in cooperation with the Schutzstaffel (SS) in the NSKK Kommando Volksdeutsche Mittelstelle), pre- and postmilitary training, assisting the armed forces with transport etc.
When Adolf Hühnlein died in June 1942 he was replaced by NSKK-Obergruppenführer Erwin Kraus.
A NSKK-Sturmführer with a Einsatzstab Reichsleiter Rosenberg car in Riga in 1943
(Courtesy of Bundesarchiv/Wikimedia, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Germany)
Do you have any corrections or additions to the material presented on the site?
Please help us improve the site by sending them to us.